Saturday, July 11, 2009

A View From the Front Porch


There are few things in life that give me more pleasure than sitting on the front porch, sipping a cup of coffee, watching the greenery, listening to birds chirping and hearing the soft sound of rainwater flowing through the downspout. It soothes the soul like nothing else. It is also a great way to start the day.

I fell into the habit in my early childhood when we lived in Ashok Nagar, Chennai. We had a very small house in the P&T quarters -- less than a thousand sq.ft. -- and the garden in the backyard was larger in area than the living space inside the house. We had a functional garden with just a few flowers but lots of vegetables and banana trees. Dad liked to sit on the EZ chair outside and read the Hindu while I sat on the steps to the garden and lazily gazed at the plants and the trees. I just loved the feeling. Life in those days was slow and unhurried, where nobody pushed me to keep moving or get things done. Leisure was an integral part of life. (Imagine that!)

Ideally, I would like to start my day like this every day, but the long commute to work (more than 50 mins.) and the harsh winter in Michigan does not lend itself very well to this indulgence. I have to make the most of this pleasure during the weekends on summer months. Hopefully, when I retire I would live in a house where I will be able to enjoy this all year around. Now, wouldn't that be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment